The series is specially designed for students from intermediate to proficiency level. Each book consists of five modules and provides systematic preparation in all four language skills - listening, speaking, reading and writing - required at these levels. The Student's Book and the Workbook are designed to be covered in approximately 100 to 120 hours of classroom work. The Workbooks for Upstream Intermediate to Proficiency each comprise ten themed units with a variety of realistic and challenging tasks and exercises divided into clear sections for Vocabulary, Grammar, Listening & Speaking and Writing as well as tapescripts of all the Listening exercises.
The Workbook for Upstream Intermediate consists of two parts. Part A contains Vocabulary, Grammar, Communication, Reading, Listening and Writing sections with a variety of motivating tasks and useful exercises. Part B is a complete grammar supplement, containing a clear presentation of theory and systematic practice of the grammar dealt within the course.
The Teacher's Books for the Student's Books contain step-by-step teaching notes, extra ideas for optional activities, a full key to the exercises in the Student's Books and tapescripts of the listening exercises. The Teacher's Books for the Workbooks contain overprinted answers on the relevant pages of the Student's Workbooks. The Test Booklets contain photocopiable assessment tests as well as a mid-year and exit test allowing teachers to assess students' progress throughout the course.
• theme-based units from a wide variety of sources;
• a variety of cross-cultural and cross-curricular topics;
• systematic development of all four language skills through realistic challenging tasks which encourage the learner's personal engagement;
• lexical exercises practising and activating all essential vocabulary including collocations, idioms, phrasal verbs, word formation and everyday English;
• a variety of authentic stimulating reading and listening tasks;
• grammar sections covering all major grammatical areas plus a Grammar Reference Section;
• composition analysis and practice on all types of writing with full models;
• a wide range of speaking activities;
• Culture Clips;
• Literature pages.
CEF Level: A2.