Open Doors has a clear, systematic approach and a balanced syllabus which ensures thorough coverage of grammar, functional language, vocabulary, and pronunciation together with development of all four language skills. It helps with the problem of mixed-ability classes. At the back of the Student's Book are six optional projects which students can work on at their own pace, and two optional stories with exercises. Optional photocopiable activities in the Teacher's Book also provide extra material for stronger students.
Each unit contains:
• A clear and colourful 'Grammar' section where new grammar is introduced in manageable chunks and given systematic practice;
• 'Vocabulary' page with careful presentation and practice of useful word sets;
• 'Communication' section which allows students to use the language in controlled dialogues which often relate to their own lives and interests;
• 'Skills' section which draws on interesting and motivating topics to develop all four language skills.
• Designed to appeal to teenage students, with lively, relevant material and enjoyable activities.
• New language is introduced through a motivating photostory featuring a group of British teenagers in real everyday situations.
• An 'English across the Curriculum' section in each unit encourages students to use their English to talk about a wide variety of topics, from music and sports to science and nature.
• A 'Progress Diary' at the end of each unit, and regular 'Study Skills' sections encourage learner independence and provide useful learner training.
• The last activity in each unit is a song or chant.
• The first two levels are available in practical and self-contained split editions.